This weekend we were craving sandwiches………and I wanted to expand my 3-year old’s “list” past Grilled Cheese and PB&J. 🙂 So I got a bit creative, thanks to the Black & Decker Ultimate Sandwich Recipe Contest.
Looking at my new Black & Decker Convection Countertop Oven for inspiration, I came up with a plan……..and I was about to make something for the very first time.
I had enjoyed some Salmon with an Aioli Sauce a few months ago while on vacation, and I had a hunch that a similar sauce might take my favorite go-to sandwich from ordinary to extra-ordinary.
I prepared a Basil Aioli Sauce (without the usual raw egg yolks that most recipes call for), and had it chill in the refrigerator for about an hour.
While the sauce was in the refrigerator, I prepared all my other ingredients, which included my first use of the Convection Oven…..I toasted the Artisan Bread with a little Olive Oil and Italian Seasoning. Mmmmmm.
Once the Basil Aioli Sauce was ready, I loaded up one slice of the previously Toasted Artisan Bread with Ham, Bacon, and Avocado slices. Then I drizzled the Basil Aioli Sauce on top. I then used the Convection Oven for the second time….this time to warm everything to perfection.
I finished by adding optional lettuce leaves, added garnish (grapes, extra avocado slices, and potato chips) and VOILA!
- Artisan Bread – I used a Rustic Pugliese (any Italian Loaf will do)
- Smoked Deli Ham (Nitrate/Nitrite free)
- Uncured Bacon, Cooked
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- Lettuce, optional
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Italian Seasoning
Basil Aioli Sauce Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Mix all Basil Aioli Sauce Ingredients together and chill covered for 1 hour.
- When Sauce is ready:
- Slice bread, Brush both sides of each slice lightly with Olive Oil
- Sprinkle Italian Seasoning on each side of the slice as well.
- Toast bread for 3-5 minutes in Convection Oven
- Remove from Oven
- To one slice of toast, add slices of ham, cooked bacon, and avocado slices
- Drizzle Basil Aioli Sauce on top of avocado slices
- Toast for another 3-5 minutes in Convection Oven
- Remove from Oven
- Add lettuce, if desired, and top with another slice of toasted bread.
- Garnish with Grapes, Potato Chips, and extra Avocado Slices
Mmmmmmmm Good! Even my 3-year old LOVED the sauce!