This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #EarthDayDriveAway #CollectiveBias
Whether it’s for a short distance to a theme park destination or a cross-country family affair, road trips can be highlights of the year.
Family memories are made. Good ones, like the time we had to veer off the road to enjoy the largest patch of sunflowers you’ve ever seen. And then there are the “not so good ones”, like the time the car broke down in the middle of summer, before cellphones, on the road between Los Angeles and Vegas.
I’ve certainly learned the importance of having supplies in your vehicle at all times, so today I’m sharing something every driver should have – a DIY Car Emergency Kit.
DIY Car Emergency Kit
I remember well my dad teaching me how to take care of my car before I headed off to college. It was pre-smartphone days, so with school 4 hours away, safety was important.
Not only did my dad want me to be safe, but he needed to make sure I knew how to handle situations and take care of emergencies should they happen.
This meant I quickly learned how to:
- Check my oil (and add oil if necessary)
- Check my tires (and inflate if necessary without going to a gas station)
- Create a DIY car emergency kit
I don’t think many people know how to check their oil these days – they simply rely on indicators on the car’s dashboard. But sometimes technology fails. Everyone needs to know how to take care of their vehicle themselves – and it can save money in the process.
Prepping for a road trip must include more than stocking up on snacks and packing the suitcases.
Creating an emergency car kit must be on your to-do list, but in reality a kit should be something that you keep INSIDE your vehicle at all times. I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve used these items in non-emergency situations.
What to Include
These are things I regularly have in my emergency car kit:
- Jumper Cables (even if you don’t know how to use them, if your battery dies, someone will be able to help you if you have the right equipment. I have used them several times, if only to get me to the nearest Auto Center)
- First Aid Kit
- Ice Scraper (I live in Dallas, where it regularly freezes in winter, so I have a large, heavy-duty scraper that won’t fit in my kit, but is ALWAYS in the car)
- Work Gloves (in case you need to handle dirty tires, etc)
- Candle and matches (for winter)
- Blanket (for winter)
- Microfiber washable cloths (can be used for so many things – handy to have)
- Tools (a few simple tools like screwdrivers, pliers, etc)
- Portable Air Compressor (I’ve saved many a friends by having this in my car – it will air up a tire quickly, if only to get to the nearest Auto Center to replace)
- Tire Pressure Gauge (quickly lets you know if your tires are under-inflated, a common cause of accidents)
- Funnel (to use with adding motor oil)
- Quart of Motor Oil
I choose Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oil from my local Walmart store. Even if you choose to get your oil changed at Walmart’s Auto Care Center, you really should still have a quart of motor oil at home in the garage (or in your emergency car kit). When your oil gets low, just use the funnel to easily add it.
Not sure which type of oil to use?
Our friends at Walmart have made it easy for us (thank goodness). Simply use the Oil Selector tool on Walmart.com to determine what type of oil you will need based on your vehicle.
With my car, I choose the Mobil 1™ High Mileage motor oil since it has protection for engines with over 75,000 miles. A little extra care never hurt! Not only does Mobil 1™ synthetic oil protect my engine, but it reduces oil consumption too! Win – Win!
Exclusive Walmart Offer
From January 15th through April 30, 2018, Mobil 1™ is giving Walmart customers a chance to win a Chevy Equinox, plus $10 off their next Mobil 1™ purchase at Walmart with the Earth Day Drive Away Offer.
Enter for Chance to Win Chevy Equinox in two ways:
- By purchasing 5 quarts of Mobil 1™ in the store or a Mobil 1™ oil change at the Auto Care Center
- By recycling any used oil at an Auto Care Center
Plus, there’s even better news for those of us looking to change our own oil or stocking our emergency car care kits! And those of us looking to recycle oil can bring it to Walmart for proper recycling (while getting another chance to enter to win the sweepstakes). Sweet!
OFFER: Shoppers that purchase 5 quarts of Mobil 1™ synthetic oil or a Mobil 1™ synthetic oil change at the Auto Care Center are also eligible to receive a $10 Select Certificate valid on a future Mobil 1™ purchase at Walmart.
- How? Once you have made a qualifying Mobil 1™ purchase or recycled any used oil at Walmart, you can enter to win the Chevy Equinox and/or receive their $10 Walmart Select Certificate at earthdaydriveaway.com.
- Limit 2 entries in the sweepstakes per customer (1 for purchasing and 1 for recycling).
- Receipt required to receive $10 Walmart Select Certificate.
- Terms and conditions, FAQs, and other information can be found at EarthDayDriveAway.com.
So what are you waiting for? Let’s head to Walmart and start making our DIY Emergency Car Care Kits!
Is there something you would add to my list?