This election season hasn’t always brought out the best in people, at least from the view on my facebook page. I’m all for a little debate, but it’s gotten a little out of hand. So, how about a little fun this Tuesday? Get the kids involved and make election day cookies.
I know this is the first election that my 9-year old has any concept of, so I am very aware that she is watching my husband and I and how we respond to all the chaos leading up to the election, and of course, the results Tuesday night. To start a great conversation, we are making these election day cookies together. This will give us something fun to do while we talk about the United States and how important it is to vote!
So whether you are watching the results while glued to the television, or don’t want to watch until it is all over, these election day cookies will be there to add some fun red, white and blue into your day, no matter what the election outcome!
Affiliate links in post
ELECTION DAY COOKIES
12 regular Oreos
1 cup Wilton white chocolate melts
1/4 cup Wilton red chocolate melts
1/4 cup Wilton blue chocolate melts
White star sprinkles
White decorator icing tube
Black decorator icing tube
1. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the white chocolate candy for 45 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir. Continue to microwave in 10 second increments until melted and smooth.
2. Place 2 tablespoons of melted white chocolate into the bottom of a cookie mold.
3. Place an Oreo cookie on top of the melted white chocolate.
4. Spoon additional melted white chocolate on top of the Oreo cookie, up to the top of the mold.
5. Repeat steps 2-4 until all the Oreo cookies are coated.
6. Chill for 30 minutes.
7. Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
8. Remove the cookie molds from the refrigerator and pop each cookie out and place on the lined baking sheet.
8. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the blue candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
9. Dip the bottom of each coated cookie into the melted blue chocolate and place back on the baking sheet for 10 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
10. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the red candy melts for 45 seconds. Stir until melted and smooth.
11. Dip the top of each Oreo into the melted red chocolate and place back on the baking sheet to “set” for 10 minutes.
12. Dab 3 star sprinkles with a small amount of white icing and place evenly across the red section of an Oreo. Do the same for the blue section (6 stars total).
13. Repeat step 12 on all of the cookies.
14. Using the black decorator icing tube, pipe the word “VOTE” in the white (middle) part of each cookie.