Disney’s MOANA is now available – from Digital HD/3D and Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) on Feb. 21, to the Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray, DVD and On-Demand available as of yesterday, March 7th! I couldn’t be more excited and have a MOANA Giveaway to celebrate – with 3 winners. Read on!
(Complimentary Movie and Necklace was provided)
This past November, MOANA released into theaters everywhere on Thanksgiving Day, yet I wasn’t anywhere near a traditional movie theater. In fact, I wasn’t even on LAND. I was on the sea. Truth be told there was no better place to be. Let me share why.
You see, my family decided to completely unplug the week of Thanksgiving. It’s always a hard week for me personally as it’s the week we lost my mom. So we opted to do something crazy fun and we headed on our first Disney Cruise. (And if you haven’t seen my posts, so far I’ve written about Tiana’s restaurant, the new Tiana’s Place aboard the Disney Wonder and also the Disney Cruise Royal Court Royal Tea princess tea experience. More coming soon)
But what happens when a new Disney movie is released while you are onboard a Disney Cruise?
Do you miss out on all the fun and excitement until you can see it back at home? Oh no! Let’s just say the Captain got special permission to not only let those onboard the Disney Wonder watch Moana (and for FREE, since we are on a cruise after all), but the permission was granted EARLY. So late at night, all the parents and kiddos headed off to the theater to watch the first showing of MOANA. It wouldn’t be the only time we watched it onboard the Disney Wonder.
As the mom of a daughter, MOANA is a story that I hope resonates with her.
Three thousand years ago, the greatest sailors in the world voyaged across the vast South Pacific, discovering the many islands of Oceania. But then, for a millennium, their voyages stopped – and no one today knows why. From Walt Disney Animation Studios comes “Moana,” a sweeping, CG-animated adventure about a spirited teenager who sails out on a daring mission to prove herself a master wayfinder and fulfill her ancestors’ unfinished quest. During her journey, Moana (voice of Auli’i Cravalho) meets the once-mighty demi-god Maui (voice of Dwayne Johnson), and together, they traverse the open ocean on an action-packed voyage, encountering enormous fiery creatures and impossible odds.
“Moana” stars Auli‘i Cravalho as the voice of Moana, Dwayne Johnson as the voice of Maui, Temuera Morrison (“Star Wars: Episode II – Attack of the Clones,” “Once Were Warriors,” “Six Days, Seven Nights”) as Moana’s no-nonsense father, Chief Tui; Rachel House (“Whale Rider,” “Hunt for Wilderpeople,” “Eagle vs Shark,” “Boy,” “White Lies”) as Moana’s trusted Gramma Tala; and Nicole Scherzinger (Grammy®-nominated singer, West End’s “Cats”) as Moana’s playful and strong-willed mother, Sina; Jemaine Clement (“The BFG,” “Despicable Me,” “Rio,” “Rio 2,” “What We Do in the Shadows,” Flight of the Conchords) voices Tamatoa, a self-absorbed, 50-foot crab; and Alan Tudyk (“Zootopia,” “Wreck-It Ralph,” “Big Hero 6”) lends his voice to stowaway rooster Heihei.
(Affiliate link in post)
Easter Eggs: Did you see all the hidden Disney characters in the film?
I won’t spoil them all, but did you notice Flounder makes an appearance during Maui’s “You’re Welcome,” sequence?
The Easter Eggs are just some of what you’ll find in the bonus features and just an extra reason to bring MOANA home!
Bonus features include*:
Blu-ray 3D, Blu-ray & Digital 3D/HD/SD: Order MOANA Now
- Theatrical Short Film: “Inner Workings” – With introduction by the filmmakers, is the story of the internal struggle between a man’s pragmatic, logical side and his free-spirited, adventurous half. Created by a small team at Walt Disney Animation Studios in a unique, fast-paced style that blends CG and traditional hand-drawn animation, the short explores the importance of finding balance in daily life.
- Maui Mini-Movie: “Gone Fishing” – When Maui decides it’s time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways … with a little help from her friends!
- Voice of the Islands – An in-depth look at how Pacific Island people and cultures inspired the filmmakers to create the story of “Moana
- Things You Didn’t Know About …
- Meet the stars of “Moana” in this dynamic Q&A featuring Dwayne Johnson, newcomer Auli‘i Cravalho, and famed animation directors Ron and John.
- Meet the musical team behind “Moana” in this fascinating Q&A featuring Opetaia Foa‘i, Mark Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Island Fashion – Find out how costume designer Neysa Bové took on the unique challenge of creating costumes using materials and techniques native to the islands of Oceania.
- They Know the Way: Making the Music of “Moana” – Musicians Opetaia Foa‘I, Marc Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda take us on a personal journey through their involvement in the movie and how it changed their lives.
- Fishing for Easter Eggs – Dive deep into the ocean and fish for the Easter Eggs hidden by the animators at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
- The Elements of … – This series of four mini-docs explores the technical achievements behind some of the ground-breaking effects used in the film.
- Mini Maui – Meet “Mini Maui,” Maui’s tattoo sidekick. Animated by legendary hand-drawn animator Eric Goldberg, we explore how the 2D world collides with CG animation to bring the demigod’s tattoos to life.
- Water – In the movie, the ocean is a character. This piece explores how the water is given a personality, along with the technical feats of creating a believable ocean landscape farther than the eye can see.
- Lava – Te Kā is a creature made of lava, smoke and fire. This piece dives into the challenges of making an animated creature of massive scale brought to fiery life by character, technical and effects animators.
- Hair – One of the greatest technical achievements of the film was the animation of the beautiful, curly hair on Moana and Maui. Take a look at the hair-raising detail that goes into animating each strand, adding performance to the movie that has never been seen before.
- Deleted Song: “Warrior Face” – With introduction by songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda.
- Deleted Scenes – Ron and John introduce the following deleted scenes: Race the Wind/Ties that Bind; Discussing Moana’s Future; Under the Sea; Grandmother’s Warning/Legend of Maui; Education of Moana; Father, Daughter, Boat; and Canoe Race.
- Music Video: “How Far I’ll Go” – Performed by Alessia Cara.
- “How Far I’ll Go Around the World” – Multi-language reel of the song “How Far I’ll Go.”
- Audio Commentary – With directors Ron and John.
- Theatrical Short Film: “Inner Workings,” Music Video: “How Far I’ll Go” and Audio Commentary
To learn more about what it’s like to be a Disney animator on a project like MOANA, head on over and read our interview!
To have a little extra fun, you might want to grab (or give a little hint for the Easter Bunny) this Moana Singing Necklace for Kids – my daughter LOVES hers!
GIVEAWAY! I’ve got a giveaway with 3 Winners – Each will win a copy of MOANA Digital Movie!
Be sure to enter my other giveaways:
Paw Patrol and Blaze DVD + Little Golden Books Set ends March 14th
YOU WILL ALSO LOVE:
If you like this post, you’ll love these that I’ve picked out just for you!