Cornbread is a southern staple just about anytime of year, but the holidays just aren’t the same without it.
This year I am stepping things up a bit (and sweetening it up too) with this Sweet Pumpkin Cornbread recipe.
This cornbread recipe makes enough for an 8″x 8″ pan, so feel free to double the recipe if hosting a large gathering.
(Note: Affiliate links in post)
Sweet Pumpkin Cornbread
1 cup cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs – beaten
1 cup pumpkin purée
1/4 cup vegetable (or canola) oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Coat a 8 x 8 pan with a vegetable spray (I used Pam) and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, add the cornmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk to mix all of the dry ingredients together. Set aside.
3. In a small mixing bowl, add the pumpkin purée, the beaten eggs, oil and honey. Mix well.
4. Pour the wet pumpkin mixture into the dry ingredients bowl. Stir well with a rubber spatula to mix all the ingredients.
5. Pour the cornbread mixture into the 8 X 8 pan.
6. Bake for 25-28 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
7. Let the cornbread cool in the pan for 20 minutes before cutting into nine equal pieces.
OPTIONAL: Serve with butter and honey.
Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Pin it for later: